From Canadian Living Magazine, December 2006. Makes 24 pieces.
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
(about 6 oz / 175 g)
2 TB crunchy peanut butter
2 TB mayonnaise (light or regular)
1 TB chopped fresh coriander
1 tsp grated lime rind
1 TB lime juice
1 tsp hot garlic chili sauce or hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 carrot, grated
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 package croustades (24 in a pkg)
In skillet / saucepan, cover chicken with water. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, turning once, until no longer pink inside - about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool. Dice
In large bowl, whisk together peanut butter, mayonnaise, coriander, and lime rind and juice, chili sauce, salt and pepper.
Add chicken, carrots and green onions. Stir to combine.
Place heaping 1 teaspoon chicken salad into each croustade.
Notes and Tips...
- Cooking Chicken - to enhance the flavour of the chicken, I add a tsp of chicken broth to the cooking water.
- Dicing Chicken - 'Goldilocks" the dice - not so small that it becomes mush, not so large it doesn't fit easily into the croustades.
- Mayonnaise - I usually use full fat products and often prefer Miracle Whip
- Hot sauce - I typically use Tabasco and add in stages, careful not to get too spicy
- Make ahead: filling can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours; fill croustades shortly before using so they remain crisp