Food bloggers advise being clear about one’s niche and sticking to it. Good advice, but my recipes may defy categorization. I’ll be sharing favourites (both old and new); family treasures; some recipes may be vegetarian, gluten-free, have an ethnic origin – or not. My recipe choices depend on what tastes and looks great, and what is foolproof. Overall, I hope this becomes a bit of a "legacy" site - including eventually all favourites that family and friends enjoyed and may want to replicate.
- I prefer seasonal and local food, and real ingredients.
- I value recipes that are nutritious and healthy. That will not guarantee that I will refrain from using butter or cream – everything in moderation.
- My preference is for recipes that are not too complicated – though that is always a matter of opinion. If a recipe seems complicated, I will break into little steps - some that can be done ahead.
- I value planning ahead – it takes the stress out of cooking. Trained chefs call their prep – mise en place – putting everything in place.
- Few of the recipes I share will be absolutely original. Sources and modifications will be noted.
- I will always offer recipe notes since I find even the best recipes / cookbooks tend to leave out helpful hints and steps. Having said that, every cook can make mistakes and the secret is to try, try again.